Saturday, July 10, 2021

2021-027 | OUTDOORS SAFETY & ANIMAL ENCOUNTERS

OUTDOORS COMMON SENSE TIPS: When you are hiking alone or with just a very small group, you will see wildlife at closer range than when you are with a large and noisy group. 

If you see wildlife or farm animal blocking the path, stop and let it move on its own.

Snakes when they notice humans, slither away. Some snakes, like the cobra and the Asian coral snake, are very aggressive. They would defend their territory. Just back off slowly. Slowly. Never run.

Monitor lizards would always investigate when they see a hiker passing by and they would always be seen by the second hiker following the first hiker.

Wild animals like palm civets, leopard cats, Philippine macaques, wild boars, deer, etc. usually are threatened by the presence of humans especially when they are surprised. These would be aggressive if you threaten their source of food and their litter. Back off and take a long detour. No eye contact. 

Farm animals like cows and carabaos are, most of the time, tethered along a trail. Just make small noises otherwise do not stare at these animals especially when they have their calves. Do not threaten them with a stick or you will injure these. They would panic and these animals are expensive. 

Dogs, do not show them that you are afraid. Just feint to pick up a stone and these will run away otherwise keep them in your sight. 

Watch out for spots of sunlight in forested areas. Most likely there is a sunbathing reptile. 

Streams are where predators wait. When these dry up they would be at the last water holes. They would be very aggressive.


First seen in Facebook

January 16, 2018 

=> => => o0o <= <= <=

 

IT SEEMS I FED YOU a mouthful, which are all self-explanatory, is it not? Many have longed for such encounters with wildlife but it never happened while an equal number have unexpected encounters with which they never thought would happen. Fortunately, most of our wildlife and birds are now protected by national laws, local ordinances and department orders but, even so, there are still nincompoops who are into this illegal wildlife trade.

 

On the matter of domesticated animals, these are very common in rural and semi-wild areas. Some of these became feral when it launched itself away from human habitations and became part of the wildlife population like roosters, hens and pigs; even cats and dogs. However, there are some swamp buffaloes that grew up semi-wild and are not tethered by their owners in remote areas and these get alarmed when they see humans. 

I have encountered some of our wildlife and domesticated ones and will share those most memorable ones here. One of the many amusing encounters I had was with a snake. It happened in 2013 while I was hiking alone along the slopes of Mount Manunggal. I saw something moving underneath tall grass, inches beside me. Then I saw something shiny – a scale; I immediately lurched out of the trail rolling down the hillside when I found out that it was a python as thick as my lower leg. 

In 1994, while I was with a group hiking back from Lake Duminagat in the Malindang Mountain Range, I witnessed two alpha male apes fighting over territory. I only noticed them when a tall tree shook and swayed and I found two figures scratching, biting, kicking and screeching against each other and they fell from branch to lower branch until both landed on the ground. One ran away and the victor thumped his chest in exultation and then he stopped.

 

He noticed me. He turned around and dared at me, thumping his chest. Out of amusement, I turned away slowly. In the distance I still saw him thumping his chest at me, showing his menacing fangs. In 1992, the most majestic encounter I had was with a mature Philippine eagle. It happened in a rare clearing underneath huge trees. I saw it glide towards me, dropping a lone feather which floated to my right palm. When it passed by, the ground where I stood was dimmed by its huge shadow. This encounter changed how I see things now.    

=> => => o0o <= <= <=

 

WARRIOR PILGRIMAGE BLOG, personified by this writer, is synonymous with the Outdoors, since Bushcraft and Survival is its niche. Safety and Security are its bedrock when it ventured into organizing outdoor events that involved people as in adventure/pilgrimage guideships and seminars; and explorations and expeditions. 

Through tutorship, experience, folk knowledge and good old common sense, this writer was able to collect useful information which he is currently documenting in a book titled, ETHICAL BUSHCRAFT. He shares some of this information and knowledge in his training sessions; in his social-media account; and in this blog.


Photo Nr 2 courtesy of Erik Monsanto.

Photo Nr 3 courtesy of Mark Lepon.



No comments: