Wednesday, August 25, 2021

2021-033 | BAUERFEIND GENUTRAIN KNEE SUPPORT

THE WEAR AND TEAR OF a knee can only be felt during an accident or when old age comes knocking. I was active in basketball and football during my younger days but that was just about the best that my knees were exposed to the threat of a sprain. When you are not a professional leaguer and you are rearing a family you have to abandon your active lifestyle. So, I possessed a healthy pair of knees. 

Later in life I begun to find more time with my hands. I was in a mid-life crisis and, to rid of boredom and arthritis, I have to be out of my home and explore the outdoors. I reclaimed back my life and beat arthritis out of my knees. But in late 2017, I felt something unusual in my right knee that is different from arthritis. It was a bit annoying but I ignored it until I came to receive a BAUERFEIND GenuTrain Knee Support as a Christmas gift and decide to use it on my one annoying knee in an outdoor exercise.  

It was on a difficult day where an early morning rain made the ground wet and unfavorable for a perfect hike. Ninety percent of the hike was downhill but it made the best for this preventive contraption. Constant application of brake on the toe and the heel to stymie the downhill force could cause undue pressure on one knee joint but being supported with a BAUERFEIND GenuTrain Knee Support made a big difference.

For someone who relied so much with the strength and flexibility of the knees for a long time, my wearing of the BAUERFEIND GenuTrain improved the strength and stability of a knee. Although I used the one healthy knee most of the time, there were instances that I have to use the weaker one, but supported by the knee contraption, I gained a little confidence to reach stable footings as I made my way down the trail.

It was a wet day yet the elastic fabric wicked away moisture, since it is quick drying. The edges had not chafed skin nor developed sore spots. Its grip on the lower thigh and upper part of lower leg had not sagged despite the monotonous movement in wet conditions on the part where the BAUERFEIND GenuTrain is worn and it freed me from constantly adjusting it upwards. I felt my knee was not abused by the hard activity and the knee support satisfies me.

The only complaint I have of it is the elastic fabric constricted flow of blood to upper thigh and caused tightness of muscle function, especially on the inner muscle group close to the crotch. The tightness resulted to a bearable pain which was annoying at some point of the hard physical exertion. Repositioning the upper edge solved the problem temporarily though and I repeat the process. 

Three years later, almost on same date, this time my left knee is kind of unstable lately caused by my lifting of heavy objects multiple times for three days straight over a distance of 65+ meters. Yes I was hefting sacks of cement and sand, composite boards and lumber. I could do these things easily when I was younger but when you are approaching 60, it is kind of different anymore. The problem is I have a schedule for a year-end hike with my club.

I have to suit the BAUERFEIND GenuTrain again for this 12-hour hike. This time, the left knee is experiencing considerable pain compared with the other knee last time and seems wobbly. But I trusted my BAUERFEIND GenuTrain and fixed it comfortably as I could and made good adjustments to achieve knee alignment. The elasticity is still there and it held tighter to my lower thigh now since I added centimeters into my legs because of inactivity and travel restrictions caused by this pandemic.

The BAUERFEIND GenuTrain made sure that my left knee would stay true with its alignment. I never missed a step nor winced in pain for that matter as I would have if I was not wearing this knee support. Because of the added thickness of my leg, I cannot sit normally as the knee support braces would compress hard the sides of the knee joint and on the back of the knee if I bend that one problem knee. I have to straighten the leg and relieve pressure by sliding the knee support inches down.   

This is an unsolicited product review but the wearing of this active knee support could improve your performance just as I have had experienced. There is a difference when you are not wearing one and it does not retard your movement except for those minor problems that I had explained above. You just have to adapt with the discomforts. BAUERFEIND GenuTrain Knee Support is Made in Germany and, therefore, not cheap. 

Here are some of the interesting and helpful features of the BAUERFEIND GenuTrain Knee Support:

 

·        Donning and Doffing Stays which are found on both sides of the knee support. It is made of flexible polyurethane material to aid in proper setting of the knee support.

·        A train-knit material that is lightweight and more breathable, providing better comfort and compliance for your movements.

·        Omega+ Pad. A patented pain-relieving pad made of viscoelastic ring encases the kneecap and provides instant massage as you move, enhancing circulation in the joint capsule and reduces swelling.

·        Good for strains, tendinitis, swelling, pain, jumper’s knee, runner's knee, feelings of instability, lateral meniscus tear, and Osgood-Schlatters syndrome.

 

Here in the Philippines, it could be bought online at Lazada with a price range of P5,500 to P8,900. Do not be deceived by cheaper knee supports that looked like the BAUERFEIND GenuTrain Knee Support. Mine was bought from S&R. You could also find similar BAUERFEIND knee supports online at Shopee, Galleon, Chris Sports, UBuy and iprice.ph. In case you might want to know, there is a page in Facebook called the Bauerfeind Users Philippines. Visit Breaking Muscle for more information and in-depth review by Sally Arsenault.


No comments: