Tuesday, January 24, 2023

2023-004 | CAMINO DE SANTIAGO CHRONICLES | SNIPPETS | DAY ONE

SNIPPETS OF DAY ONE


On the first day of my el Gran Camino de Santiago on June 19, 2022, I arrived at Hendaia (Hendaye), France in darkness. The bus dropped me and my Swiss collaborator at 02:30 in the earliest of mornings. I was excited. It was very cold and I was just wearing a flimsy collared t-shirt. We kept moving just to stave off the cold. We walked on concrete sidewalks and on asphalt streets until we crossed over into Spain.



After so much effort to find a meal in Hendaia and in Irun, light begun to claim the skies. Then I found that elusive arrow. We decided to push through with or without food and God be with us! The road goes up and up from Hondarribia until we arrived at the chapel of the Guadalupe Hermitage. I prayed and asked for blessings inside. Outside, I got the first stamp for my empty credenciales.



Still walking on empty stomachs, I blindly followed a path up a mountain, completely trusting on my intuition on which arrow I would choose and hound the rest of the day. My hunch was answered as we passed by ruins of Carlist watchtowers. I knew of these structures during the making of this DIY Camino del Norte. I designed that I pass there, not knowing that it was the Purgatory Trail, and it was one of three routes of the first day.



Then came the lone dolmen, a stone monolith erected by Celtics, long before the coming of the Romans. I scaled Monte Jaizkibel and walked among its ridges, enjoying an aerial parade of eleven serpent eagles circling above me, paying homage of my presence. I went down and followed a well-beaten path that finally led to Pasaia San Juan (Pasai Donibane) and to our first albergue.



I had my coldest mugs of beer and that elusive meal, all rolled into one super dinner, Spanish time (22:00). It was a super effort upon my part to remain awake, despite the beating that my eyes received as it adjusted to the long daylight hours which the Europe is enjoying at this time of year. After that very late dinner, I hit my bed and there was no turning back.



I am a pilgrim from the Philippines.






No comments: