Thursday, September 16, 2010

NAPO TO BABAG TALES XXXII: Spoon Carving 101

BUSHCRAFT SKILLS SUNDAY, May 16, 2010. Taking out Boy Toledo and Ernie Salomon today to the Roble homestead, just below Mount Babag, for a spoon carving session. Need to teach new tricks to these two old trail dogs about tool making.

I have to change their mindsets and not let them drift back to an interest that only accumulate altitude, distance and expensive gears. I can't even remember there is one here in this country if you believe the UIAA1. You know what I mean.

What I am doing is starting out a new culture about bushcraft and survival here in Cebu and this is more on useful survival skills that do away those gears. This is more on improvisation and adapting to nature and endurance.

Along the way, I searched for things that are essential in bushcraft and survival and mapped this in my mind aided, now and then, by my camera. Though it is still summer but we were blessed with cloudy skies. We arrive very early and, as usual, I bring bread for the kids Manwel, Juliet and Jucel Roble.

I choose a hard driftwood called “lubas”. It is grainy and gnarled and great skill is needed to cut away the wood with just a jungle knife. It will be a hard undertaking but I have to try and impress the duo. I will have my dependable rainbow-colored Mantrack knife as my cutting tool.

Meanwhile, Ernie and Boy T prepared our meal for lunch. I offered my stove and pot to cook the milled corn and we will be eating pork adobao and they watch me while they work. Old men. Yeah, full of wisdom!

The collaged images below tell the whole story of this Camp Red activity -

Right after this event, we take a customary post-activity discussion and rehydration ritual in our watering camp in V. Rama Avenue. Paul Ceniza (Ridge Outdoor Shop) came from Lilo-an just to listen to the tales of Boy T and Ernie.


Document done in OpenOffice 2.1 Writer
JPEG converted images done in Microsoft Powerpoint 2007

1Union of International Alpinists Association. The UIAA describes mountaineering as an activity done 4,000 meters above sea level.

No comments: