Thursday, January 11, 2018

ADVENTURE ENTREPRENEURS

ADVENTURE ENTREPRENEURS. Exalted description of vagabonds who are doing well.


I seem to know what it meant and I felt high, even though I know that I do not made the grade.

I am into adventure but entrepreneur I am not. I simply do not have the means.
  
Anyway, you do get that high feeling when you have people’s attention though.

It is not everyday that I get moments like this. Bright lights and all. Mic in hand and images of you on a white screen, flipping and changing in timed sequence.

I am before a paid crowd talking about bad breakfasts, cold mornings and irate people. It is about my recent Thruhike of Cebu that snared people’s imagination lately because it had not been done before. I did it in 27 days between January and February 2017 from Santander to Daanbantayan. Tip to tip. Shore to shore. 400 kilometers.

 
TECHTALKS Philippines, thru Ms. Tins Amper, invited me here at iiOFFICE Cebu today, April 5, 2017, to talk under a theme of Adventure Entrepreneurs + Social Media Clinic.

The place is a shared workspace for geeks and the not-so-geeks located at Don Pedro Cui Street, in Capitol Site, Cebu City. 

I am more like Greek to geeks. I am a sunburnt relic. We both speak a different language, in case you do not know that. They speak algorithm while I communicate in highland yells.

I am with glamour guy of trail biking, Gene Faelnar.

He has assets. I have liabilities. He is entrepreneur. I am vagabond.

He owns Cebu Mountain Biking Tours.

He speaks about his venture.  

The audience loved his presentation.

That appreciation extends to mine when I had my turn on the stage.

They should be.

 
I would not have been here without the support of my benefactor and good friend, Markus Immer. He brought with him cupcakes for everybody, baked by his wife Analyn.

Thank you very much!

Markus had a big role during the Thruhike. He kept us going with the supply runs he undertook. He even walked the final 40 kilometers to Bulalaque Point.

He had been into many adventures around the globe. Sailing. Diving. Hiking. Climbing, Cross-country skiing. You name it. And he is an entrepreneur himself.

 
Entrepreneur. A high sounding word.

That will take form, perhaps, when I get guideship calls for the Cebu Highlands Trail and, soon, the Camino de Santiago de Cebu.

Meanwhile, I am more into outdoors education. It had kept me rolling over rough ground for more than a year. It is my main bread and butter.

I teach tropical bushcraft, wilderness survival, land navigation, campsite management, knife safety, urban prepping and survival, plant identification, and good old outdoors common sense to kids and adults, outdoorsmen and responders, corporations and government.

I travel with the tools of my trade and my knowledge. A journeyman.

Maybe a few speaking engagements like this. I do not know.

Someday I may finish my books and that is all about this entrepreneur thing.

It is never easy to be a vagabond.

There is no fortune and riches in there.

You only have a life well-lived by a good dose of adventures.

A survivor.


  Promotional graphic by TechTalks Philippines

No comments: