Sunday, February 11, 2018

PURE SURVIVAL CHRONICLES: Joel Costelo and the Band of Brothers

IN THE COURSE OF my life’s journey, I have met many people who were survivors of different mishaps and catastrophes, circumstances and deprivations, wars and conflicts, and they lived to tell their experiences, predicaments and fortunes. While others I came across to, are witnesses of, or have been recipient of tales from these survivors, it still are stories worth telling. I am an eager listener and I always remember the stories very well and added these pieces of information into my “library of self-preservation”. This blog is, in itself, a repository of pure survival tales.

Let me tell you about Afghanistan first. It is a beautiful landlocked country with mixed ethnicity but, unfortunately for its populace, it is in constant turmoil. It had enjoyed peace for just relative short periods of time. Colonial powers have invaded it in the past and there were inter-ethnic wars but the 1970s was the year when the escalation of the problems besetting Afghanistan begun to be felt. The former USSR interfered and invaded the country but the population resisted and fought as one people.

 
When the Soviets left in 1989, internal disagreements fractured the shaky mujaheddin alliance and, in 1994, the Taliban seized an opportunity. They wrested control of the country and imposed their medieval and brutal ways on the land. Afghanistan became a refuge and a training ground for religious extremists from all over the world symbolized by al Qaeda. The attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on September 11, 2001 were planned from the forbidding mountains and caves of Afghanistan.

The United States and NATO forces struck back and defeated the Taliban regime and its al Qaeda allies in 2002 and began to pacify the country. It became another insurgency problem that the Western allies indirectly inherited from the Russians. The US military were deployed in Afghanistan and saw considerable combat actions. Their mission was to protect and to patrol the remote regions so the incipient Afghan government could function. But the enemy remains entrenched and used violence to influence the civilian populace to their side.

We know that a few servicemen of Filipino ancestry served in Afghanistan but we know less of what units they were fighting under, much more their tales. I was waiting at Ondo Espresso Bar in Gen. Maxilom Avenue, Cebu City when a typical local man in New York Knicks jersey and cargo shorts arrived together with his pretty girlfriend. I got introduced to the man by a common friend and I informed him that it is an honor and a privilege to meet him. This is the veteran and he is not even in his 40s.

I am very fortunate to have this casual interview opportunity with a former US serviceman who had once been a part of the 101st Airborne Division, the famous unit whose exploits are now part of Hollywood lore like Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, to name a few. He is Private Joel Costelo. He hailed formerly from Mabolo, Cebu City and once studied in our local university. He emigrated eventually to Queens, NY in 2002. He talked willingly of Afghanistan, his “brothers”, their sacrifices and frustrations, and civilian life.

I enlisted with the 101st and got assigned to Afghanistan in 2009 after training for many months in the US. Although I was trained with the best, there is always a feeling of dread. I have never been in a conflict before and that feeling took most of your waking time thinking about it. In just a few days, I got my first taste of an Aghan welcome committee and then it became regular. They shot at you from nowhere and you shoot back where you thought they fired…  

We do not execute conventional parachute drops anymore like those seen in movies but we trained and deployed quickly from helicopters during big operations like in Black Hawk Down. We did both vehicle and foot patrols, mostly platoon-sized movements, and got into frequent firefights. We were the infantry and we were the frontliners. While at base, we ate like dinosaurs, slept like turtles and we did the dirtiest jobs: latrine duty…

In the 101st, I noticed some Asians. We were very few, maybe less than ten and, I believed, I was the only Bisaya (a Cebuano). I was the smallest guy in my platoon but I carried the same load. Maybe more. But I carried on without complaint, trudging on for 12-15 miles a day over the most rugged terrain, hefting three different weapons and their ammunition, getting harassed, from time to time, by enemy fire.”

The 101st Airborne Division is now known as the 101st Air Assault Division. Its main headquarters is in Fort Campbell, KY but it has forward operating bases in Afghanistan and Iraq. When it was known by the former name, the men behind the “Screaming Eagles” badge had fought in every great battle during and after D-Day, dropping behind enemy lines and disrupting supply arteries. Normandy. Rhineland. Ardennes-Alsace. Germany.

It saw extensive action in Vietnam in 1968 and Desert Storm in 1991. It currently has a small detachment carrying out missions in Somalia. Afghanistan is their largest deployment to date. The bases are located where the thick of the actions are. They interdict insurgent forces streaming from Pakistan, protect vital roads and airports, initiate and construct community projects, and train and support the Afghan National Security Forces during locate-and-destroy patrols.

Pvt. Costelo’s unit is based in FOB Sharana in the Province of Paktika. The province shares a border with Pakistan where Taliban militants maintain strongholds and enjoys protection from their fellow Pashtun tribesmen who, themselves, are fighting against the Pakistani Government. It is a very rugged environment, lawless and bare of trees, with mountains and valleys that could hide an army undetected. Worse, these insurgents know their country very well.

In time, I was assigned as an assistant gunner for the M240B machine gun and, that meant, I have to carry additional ammunition for that. Many months of exposure to hard living, surviving enemy fire and the mild climate of Afghanistan had made my body more strong and much more flexible to do the tasks of an infantryman. My mind had long ago adapted to the regimented life of a soldier but, here, it starts to show stress… 

The enemy uses his terrain very well. He fights his own style of fighting. He chooses his own time and you are there forever in the crosshairs of his sight. You hear the bark of a Dragunov and, a split second later, you felt warm air passing near your skin. The bullet missed you and the ground beside you explodes into dust and fragments of rock threw up on your face, half blinding you and you scamper for cover. You shoot back at empty space…

Living day by day, patrol on to the next patrol, firefight after firefight, had steeled me and my ‘brothers’. We survived because we worked together. We accepted our fate and we had our share of injuries and, soon, death would claim some of ours. It was hard to accept that someone you knew well took a bullet. You seethe with anger and you can do nothing. But that was the easiest part.

The Wazi Khah region of Paktika Province hosts numerous mountain passes that were used as avenues of travel by nomadic tribesmen from Pakistan into Afghanistan and vice versa since the time of Alexander the Great. It is there where Pvt. Costelo and his “band of brothers” were operating. The insurgents are known to blend with the local population since most, or all of them, are related by blood, by tribal laws and by religion.

Islam is misunderstood by most but, actually, it is a religion of peace which has its patriarch as Abraham, like Hebrew and Christianity. It is the second biggest religion in the world and their Holy Q’uran states that every worthy Muslim welcomes strangers as friends, even those of different faiths. Teachers who were converted to the Wahabbi line of thought, thinks otherwise, and poisoned the minds of the young and the gullible.

Paktika is populated mainly by the Pashtun, although nomadic tribes make their livelihood there. Because of the constant turmoil, illiteracy is high. What education they get are from the madrasahs – the religious schools – and are taught the wrong interpretation of Islam. The Taliban came from this movement of religious schools fed by false teachers with hatred and violence. The presence of foreign al Qaeda fighters only emboldened them. 

Because of my adaptability to learn new languages like Pashtun and Farsi, I got assigned as interpreter for my team. We have our official ANSF interpreter and I am always beside him. I earned a sort of privilege where my commanding officers would look the other way if I committed infractions. That privilege also required me to add another weight to my load – the HIIDE camera or the Handheld Interagency Identification Detection Equipment…

One infraction I committed was getting injured during an ambush. I was reprimanded for not using a seat belt. Another time, was bringing live prisoners to Bagram Air Base because no FOB would accept them. Another one was treating a mortally wounded Afghan without surgical gloves. The most serious one which almost placed me on court martial was uploading photos in Facebook when I found a rare internet signal…

In my conversations with village elders, they would ask me if I am American or Hazara. Hazara is another tribe from Bamiyan Province who were descendants of Mongols. They would not believe I am American. Then I would tell them I am Filipino and they believe me. They would add that they have seen Filipinos passing by their villages. I do not think there were overseas Filipino workers in Afghanistan, except maybe aid workers. Then it came to my mind that the Abu Sayyaf of Southern Philippines has its origins from here.

Haj Abdurazzak Janjalani, a Filipino Islamic scholar, was a product of such madrasahs. He fought in Afghanistan as a mujaheddin alongside Osama bin Laden against Soviet occupation. He was one of the many Filipinos who answered the call of Jihad – holy war – and learned new tactics, which they used against their countrymen when they returned home. Eventually, he became the leader of the notorious Abu Sayyaf which he founded. He died in 1998 during a clash with the Philippine military.

Foreign jihadists led by bin Laden influenced the young Afghans to embrace Wahabbi extremism. They sent them to Pakistan and returned as “freedom fighters”, totally injecting them with poisonous and dangerous doctrines into their minds. The elders are subjected to threats or violence and leadership control of the villages are usurped by the Taliban. Some villages resisted but the Taliban would use their full force on the hapless civilians.

The continued presence and unabated movements of insurgents in the countrysides are a threat to peace, reconstruction and development. The International Security Assistance Force also helped in the counterinsurgency mission of Afghanistan, totally separate in scope from Operation Enduring Freedom, where the 101st AAD is operating under. Real-time intelligence were used to monitor movements and presence of insurgents and the acquisition of such were basis for operational missions to suppress these forces.

On one such patrol, we walked for days to search our quarry. It was the last day of our patrol when we climbed a high peak and, seeing the beauty of the countryside, we took a group picture. Right after putting the camera back, we were suddenly under fire from a large force. We were very exposed and there was no cover and concealment except for a few head-sized rocks. We used the rocks to cover our heads and wished bullets would not hit the rest of our bodies…

In that firefight, we cannot move and maneuver. We stayed where we lay or crouch. It was late afternoon. Soon dusk would come. In my high state of excitement I had to answer the urge to take a leak. I took a piss lying down, the spout of liquid arching over on to one side causing annoyance from my ‘brothers’ as a few drops touched their uniforms. They were too serious. I laughed so hard that the volume of fire from the enemy increased…

Our chance to get out alive from the ambush was darkness but we cannot do that without support. We had communicated to our HQ earlier our location and those of the enemy. We were completely surrounded. A fighter bomber arrived and rendered the landscape around us into a very fiery and wondrous sight. The harassment stopped and we navigated in darkness along the gullies using night vision goggles.

Village visits were common and the individual soldier behaved as he must professionally. The units are briefed in cultural sensitivity, religious tolerance and so many rules to remember and comply. The use of force on civilians were deemed forbidden and prisoners were to be treated humanely as possible. The battle for the hearts and minds were as applicable as ever. This was not a war against a people but a war against ideology, much more sinister and dangerous than communism.

These insurgents do not follow rules. The only rule they follow is the law of violence. These are half-literate men that do not know kindness, humility, forgiveness, love, charity and hope. Theirs is a world of constant desperation and violent changes. They lived like animals and accept death as “martyrs” of their faith, an illusory idea which true believers of Islam do not condole, for these wayward men did not follow the teachings of the Prophet.

I cannot forget when I was using the HIIDE on a village elder. Suddenly blood splashed on my face and on my uniform. I was stunned for a moment as the old man fell to the ground with opened entrails. Bursts of gunfire erupted everywhere and I dived for cover. I fired at I thought the enemy were and then I saw the old man still alive and pleading for help. Shouldering my carbine, I dragged the injured man to safety and applied pressure to the wound but the intestines they fell outside…

I saw my officer down with a wound on a leg and he was firing back. A ‘brother’ reminded me to leave the injured civilian alone and focus on the enemy. They were very near and I could see their faces. I thought I hit some but in the confusion of battle you cannot count it as yours. Somebody must have hit them. The best thing to do is to keep yourself and your ‘brothers’ alive. After more than an hour, the last shots were heard. The dead enemies were lined on the ground. A few prisoners were handcuffed…

The eyes of the mortally-wounded elder haunt me always in my memory. I do not know what happened to him after that. He was transferred to a military ambulance and taken away. I could have done more for him but we were under pressure. I have to contribute firepower for my team else we would all be annihilated, including the civilians. But this was not the worst I encountered. This was one of the easy part.

The 101st AAD is a very cohesive unit. More like a single organism instead of as a fighting unit composed of different individuals and characters. The movie Band of Brothers showed why they operate with such efficiency for a large unit. These guys trained, dined, fought, slept, laughed, suffered and consoled each other and together in the confines of barracks life and on the battlefields. They are the modern Spartans.

But behind that facade of invincibility are men who are susceptible to inner struggles and domestic problems. These soldiers gave up the comforts of their homes, the support of spouses and families, the cozy old life, a rosy future because they value more their service to country and flag. They know the outcomes of their choices and they would rather stand up for their beliefs than rant excuses in social media. They sacrificed everything for a vague future.

The hardest part really was containing your emotions and the solitude. I dreamed of getting a bullet for myself to shorten my tour. We did what we were ordered to even in the most volatile situations because it was the rightful thing to do. It was a miracle I made it home alive in 2014. Back there in Afghanistan, we were not earning much for what we did so the rest of us Americans could enjoy freedom and our way of life. Lazy people on government welfare lived much better than us and they are the ones complaining. It is unfair for those who served overseas…

I have a ‘brother’ who has no home and no more family to return to. His wife ran off with another guy, taking all his money and his son. Another of my ‘brother’ gets a video from a friend and sees his wife having sex with another man. What would you do if you were in the same room with them? It is hard, man. Very hard. The complex of emotions, coupled with the stress of battle, are almost unbearable. You may be able to control them for now but it will have an effect on you later on…

After my tour, I found it hard to fit back to the old civilian life. The 101st was my home and my family and I liked it there. I missed the action. Is there something wrong with me or is it just a withdrawal mechanism of my body with all those stress and emotions that I underwent for five years beginning to simmer down from my system? I do not know but I yearned for conflicts. When I learned that Marawi City was taken over by foreign and local ISIS militants, my urge to be there was overwhelming.

Private citizen Joel Costelo was divorced by his wife after his discharge from the Army. He is currently taking up law enforcement studies in the US so he could work as a policeman someday. He visits Cebu now and then so he could be with his future wife. He is on vacation and taking up film production in a local film academy here. He found the outdoors a good therapy to lessen the volatile memories of Afghanistan.

101st Airborne Division Motto: Rendezvous With Destiny


Document done in LibreOffice 5.3 Writer

All photos courtesy of Joel Costelo

No comments: