Tuesday, June 19, 2018

CAMINO CEBU JOURNAL: Day Seven

DAY SEVEN :::: I HAD TROUBLE SLEEPING after being awakened by my right forearm touching the cold floor at 23:00 last night. I did not notice icy fingers of wind slipping through opened spaces between glass blades of the jalousie windows while I was asleep. The curtains quivered a bit as the breeze work their way inside, bringing with it mists which now occupy my special sleeping space underneath the long table. Suddenly, the dining room looked so small in the dark but, fortunately, for me I have no fear of closed spaces.

In my half-conscious state, I tried to relax my mind so I could sleep but, it seemed, the more I tried, the more elusive it became. Then I heard the crowing of the cocks heralding the arrival of dawn and it sounds like I have just been cheated of sleep. Then the curtains showed faint light from outside. This time I was able to catch Lady Starlight when the temperature was just about right but the brush of slippers on floor awakened me. Too late for me to dream of sleep.

I have to surrender to the reality of the coming day’s business. The kitchen is now lighted and the staff of Rev. Fr. Bernardo Oyao woke up early for this occasion to cook breakfast for us pilgrims. They had been instructed to keep us comfortable and well-fed in his absence. The familiar smell of camphor still float around the rectory in the early hours of the day. It went with us since Day Two when it was generously smeared on sore muscles and aching joints and is an accepted presence.

 
I went to the bathroom and, fortunately, it was open and empty. Just as I sat on the seat, someone from outside tried to push the door open. I locked it from the inside, of course. Who could that “unlucky” soul be? Yesterday’s dining became history and is flushed down the drain and now I am ready to accept another set of menu. Preferably warm. The few minutes inside the bath let me enjoy warmth but as soon as I opened the door, the cool atmosphere slapped my face and my wet hand.

I went outside of the rectory to inhale the cold air. The mountain air is clear while the hills are verdant. Sunrise had not yet hurdled past the crests of the Babag Mountain Range but its golden fingers of light are now beginning to reclaim its space and should be intense in an hour. The St. John the Baptist Quasi-Parish sits on a high plateau beside the bald peak of Mount Tabla, in the village of Sudlon I, Cebu City. Fr. Bernard would arrive today but not early.

Meanwhile, Rev. Fr. Scipio “Jojo” Deligero of the Archdiocesan Shrine of Señor Santiago de Apostol, our chaplain for this first-ever pilgrimage of the Camino de Santiago in Cebu, is all set to resume the journey today, July 12, 2017, for the next parish but we need to freshen ourselves first. The other pilgrims are busy with themselves, most of them braving the morning cold, taking a bath. I just wiped myself with my wet face towel and I am set to face the rest of the day.

When all were done, breakfast is served. Joining Fr. Jojo and me on the table is Mayor Joel Quiño of the Municipality of Compostela, the couple Jemmelyn and Roderick Montesclaros, Mizar Bacalla, Roger Montecino, Alvie Rey Ramirez and Jonathaniel Apurado. Omelet, hotdogs, fried rice and a leftover soup from last night’s dinner is our food. All had the same appetite as yesterday’s and are extremely motivated by the knowledge of being nearer to Compostela than ever before in this pilgrimage of the Camino de Santiago.

We left at exactly 08:00 after thanking the staff of the St. John the Baptist Quasi-Parish. We retrace our route towards a street corner where we found the directional signage for the church. It is a long walk among highland farms and small valleys, going up and down, twisting among lonely hills. Mizar led again the prayer of the Holy Rosary while the rest answered with the usual Hail Marys. Jonathan took the rear, camera in hand, as I walked hearing distance forward of them.

Profusely sweating and extremely excited caused by the walk on rolling terrain on an early morning, the pilgrims paused for a while to eat rice pudding (Local name: bibingka) cooked and sold on that street corner. While still warm, it is a meal good enough to give energy to farmers working on their fields. I brought three palm-sized ones with me, intending to eat it further up ahead. I eat all three when I reached a crossroad where there is a police detachment. I was minutes ahead and I was alone under a shed waiting for the pilgrims.

One road goes all the way to the next village of Sudlon II while another one goes down the Bonbon River Valley. It is all downhill and it is beautiful to walk where it is most moderate but rather painful for the soles and the knees where it is most steep. It is a long downhill walk and it would be harder if you do a reverse here. I have not done it here yet but the mere thought of that gave me a frown. I hope I do not but locals used this road to go places whether uphill or down the valley.

I am worried about Fr. Jojo. I looked back many times to observe his gait. The walking aid we picked up in the forests of Sohoton, Badian is still with him and it is most useful here. That stick, if ever it is not laid or thrown aside or if ever Fr. Jojo survives this Camino with it, will become an object of reverence. Without it, Fr. Jojo’s misery would have been intense and grave but, with that, he looked like Zato Ichi – the blind swordsman.

We reached the village of Bonbon at 12:00 and grabbed lunch inside a food store. The day is very warm made more warm by the concrete road bouncing off heat to us. I choose the farthest recesses of the wooden structure and ate in silence amid the exchange of tales between pilgrims. Oh God, do they ever tire? Cold soda drinks washed away the dust down my throat and kept my sanity checked. I opt for another cold glass and it settled my body’s state of affairs.

After an hour, we proceed and walked the paved road going to the Trans-Central Highway. While doing so, Fr. Bernard arrived alone with his pickup and stopped for a while for a short conversation with Fr. Jojo. He was shopping for grocery and for other needs of his parish. His back seat were full of these goods and a few were placed on the cargo space. We thanked him for his kindness and bade goodbye to him as he sped away to fulfill his sacred office. May God bless him!

By 14:00, we arrived at the St. John Marie Vianney Quasi-Parish. I always passed by this place and sometimes stopped to perform genuflection. Today, I stayed a little longer. We looked around but it was closed. We rest for five minutes here and, after that short inactivity, we returned to the hard concrete road once again that goes up from the valley. We were relieved to reach the Trans-Central Highway after an hour or so and doused our thirst with cold soda drinks.

It is now less than two hours of daylight before dusk will overcome us and Fr. Jojo does not know where to stop. Neither am I but I remembered a monastery along the way near where there is a chapel on a hill. We walk towards there and I find it strange that it is fenced off. The place seemed abandoned and I hollered towards a closed door 25 meters away. A resident living across the place came to investigate our presence and I explained it to him in explicit detail.

 
Fortunately for us, the local personally knew Mayor Joel and he helped us find a place for the night’s rest stop. We found it inside a covered court that had been converted into a chapel. It sits on the border of the villages of Malubog and Pung-ol Sibugay. The two villages have been at odds with each other as to the location of the basketball court and the proceeds of its use and so have agreed to use it into a chapel instead. There are wooden benches, monobloc chairs and thick plyboards to make impromptu beds. It is 17:30.

The caretaker of the government building happened to be our guide’s uncle and welcomed us to use the temporary chapel. For water, we only have to go out of the back entrance into his house to fetch it. The same with using a washroom, only you would have to adapt how mountain folks answer the call of nature. For the first time of our journey, we cooked our supply of food. That means the weight of a kilo of rice and four pieces of Korean spicy noodles, along with 250 milliliters of denatured alcohol, will be permanently removed from the spaces of my High Sierra Titan and that of Jonathan’s.

The spartan comforts of our night’s stopover are good enough to give us a place to consolidate our ebbing strength that we expended during the whole of the day and the rest is sufficient to prepare us for tomorrow’s journey. Fr. Jojo gave his wooden staff to Roger for safekeeping as he lay prone to accommodate once more a generous amount of efficascent oil on his calves and thighs, on his upper body and torso, and on his biceps and forearms. I removed my shoes and socks and the blisters on my toes seemed to be healing faster than I have expected it to be.

We have covered seven days of hiking into some of the most rugged places of Cebu and it is now history. That leaves us three days more to complete the first, and real, Camino de Santiago of Cebu, probably, in the Philippines, before we could lay claim that we really were the first. As I have said before, the Camino could be everywhere and in everybody’s heart, but a Camino which we now have walked more than a hundred kilometers in length; in an island which host rugged mountain ranges and clime that is harsh already before the advent of global warming is legit. And bittersweet. 

What would be the kind of reception the townsfolk of Compostela be upon us? This is a strange undertaking understood only by a few Roman Catholics. Mostly, the upper class of society and the clergy have the capacity and the means to undertake this in Spain. The Camino is not exclusive to them and this same Camino which has its origin from there does not discriminate the poor from engaging their own Camino de Santiago. The far provinces of the Roman Catholic faith should not be deprived of such privileges.

One by one, the bright lights of the covered court are switched off. In the late evening hours, few motorcycles would speed by on the Trans-Central Highway and brought with it  annoyance and cursing but, once the road is silent, crickets claimed the night air and it is most sweet to the ears. Under a lone light, I sat studying my maps. Tomorrow’s route would be my first time there. My skill in navigation would be tested once more and I accept any challenge.

Walking the rugged spines of Cebu has never been a problem with me. Local acceptance is. Ignorance, for most of the time, make interactions complicated. Sometimes, political partisanship during an election period. Armed rebellion is now absent in most of the places I know in Cebu. What is left are just residues of distrust and a bad memory. I see people smiling again. Watch when they get used to the Camino of Cebu, their places will brighten and they, themselves, engage their own spiritual journey. Would you not be happy with that?

Total Distance Walked: 14.93 kilometers.
  Highest Elevation Gained: 2,449 feet. 

 
Document done in LibreOffice 5.3 Writer

No comments: