Tuesday, February 12, 2019

NAPO TO BABAG TALES CXXIX: Camp Preparation

PREPARING A CAMPSITE for bushcraft or a survival training camp is one that I have done many times and I always have a checklist which needs to be followed. In the early days and on a few occasions of late, I do it alone. I love working silently. I have mastered this aspect and it also involves identification and selection, borne out from discovery of places.

More often now, I am with my people from the Camp Red Bushcraft and Survival Guild and it makes camp preparation quick with so many hands helping out. However, in a noisy crowd there is always someone dedicated to cooking the meals and preparing coffee. Even when the day is warm, these things, in an outdoor setting are heavenly.

Today, March 18, 2018, I am going to Sapangdaku, Cebu City to use again the campsite I used last year for a wilderness training course done for an outdoor club or maybe find an alternative. I am considering another location beyond the old campsite but it remains to be seen which one would be better.

I am not alone today. Going with me is Ricky Petiluna. He is organizing next week’s Basic Wilderness Survival Course for friends which he would also attend as one of the participants. We would meet at the parking lot of the Our Lady of Guadalupe and then proceed to the trailhead in Napo on motorcycles.

I am carrying my old-school Lifeguard USA canvass rucksack but inside it is my folding seat, which I love to call as the “SOP”; a US Army-issue folding shovel, a trowel, the AJF Gahum knife, the William Rodgers bush knife, a Victorinox Ranger, a Swiss Army can burner, a Nalgene bottle, my fire kit, a headlamp, whistle and cotton gloves.

It begins to go warm and humid as I led Ricky from Napo to Kangsi. The ground is dry from lack of moisture but the greens have not wilted. Sapangdaku Creek is noisy and robust, despite the absence of rain for many days. A smaller tributary, Sarapia Creek, joins it. The small stream still has water and that is a good sign that the “tub” will be good for bathing.

 
From the stream, we follow an ascending path that lead to an abandoned house. We rested here for a while to munch on water apples (Cebuano: tambis). From there, we proceed up the trail, passing by the old camp. Showed him the camp ground with all of its green meadows and ancient mango trees. 

This is the primary choice. Its advantage is it has a clean natural spring, a nearby stream with a small waterfall, bamboos on its lower slopes, abundant firewood, an established campfire ring, abundant vegetation for plant ID, trees for shades and my own personal bathtub. Its disadvantage is it is not hammock-friendly. It simply has too few places to accommodate hammocks.

After the inspection, we walk uphill, following the same trail to look for a local farmer whom I befriended a few years ago. He is not here yet. Maybe later. Instead of waiting, I brought Ricky down to Sarapia Creek to check on the condition of the water source. There is a newly-installed bamboo trough that channels the water flow. Very nice.

I check the stream where I think would be off limits to people, especially on a crucial moment like nocturnal hunting. I found it downstream where thick vegetation obscured the view of what is below it. That place gave me the creeps. It was dark and perfect for venomous snakes to hide. There have been sightings of Philippine king cobra (banakon) within the environs along Sapangdaku Creek and its tributaries.

We walk upstream and the water cascade down the small waterfall. After crossing the small stream we climb up a steep path and stood above the waterfall and examine the foliage of an ancient but wild johey oak tree (marang) which the locals mistakenly assumed for a long time as a tipolo tree (Sp. Artocarpus blancoi).

A path leads more of upstream. I need to check my personal natural bathtub. I am disappointed. The last strong rains have filled it with sand, pebbles and silt. Although I have a tool to dredge it, it is not priority. I have but a few hours of morning left, which I would use to inspect a secondary camp across a peak and dig latrines.

 
I retraced my path back to the marang tree and follow another path towards Mapawon Peak. It is a kilometer away and passes by soft disintegrating ground where the trail passes by. Since it is a peak, it is moderately steep and it takes some effort to reach the place. There are two holes where water is fed in it by two separate PVC pipes.

There are many trees here and it is great for hammock camping. I go down to a saddle where there is a giant power pylon. The ground is wide enough for five tents but I have second thoughts. It is susceptible to lightning strikes since the steel structure is a long conductor. I liked this place because but it could not host a big camp.

We go back to Sarapia Creek and then to the main choice of camp. The farmer is there also and he let me borrow his digging iron after I consulted him of using the place again for Ricky’s activity. I also mentioned to him of digging latrine holes since people would have to poop and I do not want the place and all around it spoiled.

We did not do much for the rest of the day except dig three rectangular holes very far apart from each other, on two opposing sides of a ridge, two for males and another one for females. The digging iron was most useful as the soil was hard, but the folding shovel made a big difference. In the old days, I would have crafted a digging stick and it demands lots of energy, which I am wont to expend when the sun is at its zenith.

Ricky was much satisfied with our working excursion and gets to learn camp selection and preparation personally from me. The checklist left a few blanks after that and the bushcraft camp is ready for next week. We finished earlier than we thought it to be and an early rest is more welcome.

Document done in LibreOffice 5.3 Writer

No comments: