Friday, December 25, 2020

2020-011 | SURVIVE OUTDOORS LONGER EMERGENCY BIVVY XL

THE SURVIVE OUTDOORS LONGER (SOL) Emergency Bivvy XL or its regular-sized bivvy should be part of your emergency and survival equipment. You unleash this when the weather is too much for you. Although a bit expensive with price tag ranging from 890-2,800 pesos (watch out for imitations), the investment could justify its longevity. You only buy once and it shall be a loyal provider of comfort for you should you need it. In my case, I have used it when I needed it most.

I happen to possess and own one in 2012 courtesy of a protegee. In that same year while I was doing a bushcraft and survival training for a Philippine mountaineering association in Mount Balagbag, a treeless mountain between the provinces of Bulacan and Rizal, rain lashed at the campsite for three days and two nights. My shelter was just a cheap laminated-nylon sheet rigged on a pole as its ridge with edges as close to the ground as could be, secured by cords and makeshift pegs. 

It was very cold on the first night but manageable with layering. On the second night, there was a squall. Rain fell almost horizontal-like and went inside through the open spaces of my simple shelter. One camper suddenly appeared to join me inside my shelter when his tent could bear no longer the onslaught of strong winds with rainwater flooding his tent. I gave to him the most secure spot of my shelter while I moved nearest to the exposed part.

Without any second thoughts, I immediately retrieved my SOL Emergency Bivvy XL as my location was almost unbearable. This was the best time to test this gear. It was wide and as long. I am a tall guy but the bivvy swallowed me whole, with a lot of inches to spare. I could instantly feel the warmth and the comfort as the gusts and rain kept pummeling my shelter and my bivvy. I slept the night through.

I slept better than I had on the first night, although I woke up with water at the inside bottom of the bivvy caused by condensation but it was comfortably-lukewarm liquid. It was an awakening for me that this emergency gear really works. It was neatly folded when I removed it from its stuff bag but you do not have to fold it back the way it was. Just stuff it back unfolded and make sure you squeezed out air so it could fill the bag. 

I carried this during my route explorations of the Cebu Highlands Trail, which lasted for almost six years; and during the epic Thruhike of Cebu from southern end to northern end in 29 days. Nowadays, I used this as visual aid during my outdoors training events like the Philippine Independence Bushcraft Camp, the Bonifacio Day Bushcraft Camp, wilderness survival courses, and related outdoor classes organized by outdoor clubs, NGOs, corporations, LGUs, and independent event organizers. 

When I faced the unknown of backcountries and pockets of wilderness then, I was always in a worried state. Now that I have an SOL Emergency Bivvy XL within reach inside my bag, the furrows are replaced by boldness and confidence; and I pushed forward the limits of comfort and safety in my favor. It really is a different feeling when you have this. I am hoping that this unsolicited product review would guide people to equip themselves with this in the event when “Murphy comes to town”.

 

Should I rate the SOL Emergency Bivvy XL on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 as Poor and 5 as Excellent; I would rate it by its different characteristics like Comfort, Make, Function, Weight, Design, Material, Cost and User Friendly; before I could give the final satisfaction rating average. Here is how I do it and please follow me down: 

• The SOL Emergency Bivvy XL is an emergency equipment designed to give immediate relief, warmth and comfort to an individual, which it had during my experience. Comfort is maximum at 5; 

• This is made of polyethylene material with a reflective metallic-like interior designed to reflect body heat back. It is water and wind resistant. Make is rated maximum at 5; 

• Minimum requirements of this kind of emergency gear is that it protects you from the elements, easy and quick to use and does not occupy space when packed inside your bag. The SOL Emergency Bivvy XL have complied with that and this resulted to a very satisfactory functionality. Function is max at 5; 

• Weight is the most obtrusive feature why people think twice of carrying an extra gear. Weight is just 3.8 ounces, or roughly 108 grams, which I rated at 5; 

• The design follows the shape of a regular sleeping bag and, thus, is plebeian and simple. Design is good at 4; 

• The choice of polyethylene sheet welded together by epoxy answers to purpose of an emergency gear and/or survival equipment. This material is also very light and very thin which is why it just weighed at 108 grams. Material is max at 5; 

• At price range of P890-P2800, the customer should be advised to choose prudence when selecting the price. We do not know if there are fake imitations in the market. But if I were to choose the expensive price, I might say I have done the right thing because I bought an original from a trusty source which would last for as long as I use this in my lifetime.  Cost is best at 5; 

• Using the SOL Emergency Bivvy XL is as easy as counting pebbles. Do I need to explain? User Friendly is 5.

Overall, the SOL Emergency Bivvy XL has a Satisfaction Rating Average of 4.82, which is not a surprise, since it is a product made for the saving of lives and is guided by the highest of standards. Personally, this is a very excellent survival equipment to acquire and carry during all your adventure travels, even if you are just around the block.

Survive Outdoors Longer is a subsidiary of Adventure Ready Brands, a company based in New Hampshire, USA. Some of the products of SOL are heat-reflective blankets, bivvies and rain gear; survival kits and emergency-shelter kits; fire-making tools, emergency fuel and duct tapes; signaling whistles and mirrors; the adventure medical kit and an array of the most common treatments in the wilderness.

The SOL Emergency Bivvy XL and its related products are available online at Amazon, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela’s and REI, to name a few. Closer to home, these are available at Lazada Philippines, Shopee Philippines, and The Outdoor Armory.

Photo Nr 1 and Nr 3 from Survive Outdoor Longer

 

No comments: