Monday, February 1, 2021

2021-005 | PAYING CLOSE ATTENTION TO NATURE

WISDOM TRAILS: Study my trail habits and you get to appreciate the outdoors more. Stopping to pay close attention to the swirl of a stream is giving respect to the power of nature. Be attentive all the time.

First seen in Facebook

December 26, 2017

=> => => o0o <= <= <=

 

THE MOUNTAINS ARE MY TEMPLES, my art galleries and my classrooms. I do not worship nature but I am awed of its beauty and its splendor as well as its moods as if God is speaking to me. My Creator is an awesome God and I am full of gratitude of my existence and the wonders He has created for me. I submit myself before Him and His Creation with utmost humility and supple understanding. 

I am just a speck in this landscape where I ranged, an intruder and a deranged lover. Deranged enough to sleep in her bosom; bathe in her streams; sing and dance around a fire; and shout to my heart’s delight above the winds. Into this solitude among the mountains, I drop my veneer of the learned and become wild for a day or two. Even a month if I wanted to. (Just make sure nobody sees you else they see you mad.)

 

The more time I spend with nature, the better I understand myself and my relationship with my Creator. My existence is insignificant and I get the best out of my remaining years while I can and never have I discovered that the lore I learned in the woods with my grandfather while young has become so useful and significant to me in this time. I have come to grasp nature closest in bushcraft ways. 

Not the bushcraft that you came to abhor but the bushcraft that is so sweet, so full of harmony and so genuine. The bushcraft that I always referred to as “zen in the woods”. Once I am on the trail, I am immediately absorbed by all the details that people would likely ignore or not see. The trail before me always has a story to tell and it entertains me to interpret what I saw, heard and smelled. 

Sometimes, at the drop of a hat, I would pause and keenly be in attention if I feel there is a sudden change in the buzz of the jungle or a sudden drop in temperature or I sniff something unusual. When I am in this zone, I am now one with nature. I cannot explain it how and why but when you see me do this, be attentive. This is not learned in a university or from YouTube. It is a “native” thing, quite different from superstition.

 

I would always leave no traces of my presence because footprints are an eyesore on soft ground. My footfalls would be light and my feet would be very discriminating where it lands. If I leave you a footprint, it is done for a purpose. If I sat on my haunches, I am in “conversation” with nature; the kind of conversation where it is a one-way affair but quite different from prayer. 

The closeness of my interaction with nature depends on the austerity of my appearance, my presence and my smell. The more modern I look, the more I am intruding. That goes with how many are with me. Compleat ethical bushcraft is something hard to comprehend or carry out. Try removing arrogance and observe how humility will take charge of your ignorance on nature.  

=> => => o0o <= <= <=

 

WARRIOR PILGRIMAGE BLOG, personified by this writer, is synonymous with the Outdoors, since Bushcraft and Survival is its niche. Safety and Security are its bedrock when it ventured into organizing outdoor events that involved people as in adventure/pilgrimage guideships and seminars; and explorations and expeditions.

 

Through tutorship, experience, folk knowledge and good old common sense, this writer was able to collect useful information which he is currently documenting in a book titled, ETHICAL BUSHCRAFT. He shares some of this information and knowledge in his training sessions; in his social-media account; and in this blog.

No comments: