Friday, April 23, 2021

2021-016 | TRANSCEND STOREJET 25H3 EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

AFTER RECEIVING MY SEVERANCE pay from a company, I shopped for an external hard drive last December 28, 2015 so I could transfer my computer files in my workstation into my own personal computer. It did not take long for me to find a familiar computer store in SM City Cebu and asked for something which has 250 Gigabytes.

The store does not have the item I asked for since that kind was already obsolete and they do not have any more in their stocks. Not even one with a 500GB. What they have were different brands with one and two Terrabytes storage space. They were quite expensive and so I have to settle for the smaller hard drive and the cheapest brand.

 

So I bought myself a TRANSCEND StoreJet 25H3 external hard drive with 1 Terrabyte (roughly 1,000GB) of storage space and began transferring my files before I end my employment on the last day of 2015. The blue pilot light blinked as I plugged the USB into the PC port. The internal mechanism whirred and vibrated as it came to life.

The one I bought was the last of its stock in the store and I brought home with a purple color. What I noticed about the outer jacket is that it is made of silicon rubber. Upon reading the packaging, the TRANSCEND StoreJet 25H3 is designed and made to survive rough handling and accidental drops. It is a product which the maker tout as military grade.

The maker claims that their external hand drive features a three-stage shock protection system that meets US military drop-test standards to fully protect data stored on the drive. The three-stage shock protection system includes a silicone rubber case, an internal shock-absorbing suspension damper, and a reinforced hard casing.

 

I was surprised at the speed with which I transferred my files from the workstation PC to the TRANSCEND StoreJet 25H3 and, later, to my home PC. The effort was possible because the external hard drive is equipped with their USB 3.1 Gen 1 interface, providing lightning-fast transfer rates of up to 5GB per second. 

The TRANSCEND StoreJet 25H3 is equipped with a one touch auto-backup button that instantly backs up your data with just one press, courtesy of the TRANSCEND Elite software which you would have to download. The button also enables you to reconnect the hard drive to your PC without the need to unplug and reinsert it. 

TRANSCEND Elite is an advanced data management software package compatible with Mac OS, Windows and Android; developed for use with TRANSCEND StoreJet 25H3 and other Portable SSD products. It performs instant backups and scheduled backups. Switch on/off OTB to allow the one-touch backup function.

The software restores from any point on the backup task list; protect files with powerful 256-bit AES encryption; decrypt files encrypted by TRANSCEND Elite; back up files from Google Drive or Dropbox to a Transcend storage device; and lock and unlock the entire portable SSD and portable hard drives. 

Transcend’s external hard drives are built to the highest standards and rigorously tested, offering outstanding quality, performance, and reliability. Transcend products both look after your data and complement your good taste with the following specifications:

APPEARANCE

Dimensions: 131.8 mm x 80.8 mm x 16.3 mm (5.19" x 3.18" x 0.64")

Weight: 191 g (6.74 oz) 

INTERFACE

USB Type: micro USB to USB Type A

Connection Interface: USB 3.1 Gen 1 

STORAGE

Capacity: 1 Terrabyte

Storage Media: 2.5" HDD 

OPERATING ENVIRONMENT

Operating Temperature: 5°C (41°F) ~ 55°C (131°F)

Operating Voltage: 5V 

Note: Transcend Elite software is required for One Touch Auto-backup and AES encryption functions. 

WARRANTY

Certificate: CE/FCC/BSMI/KC/RCM/EAC

Warranty: Three-year Limited Warranty

Warranty Policy: Drop test is based on U.S. military drop-test standards MIL-STD-810G 516.6, and performed in non-operating state. This does not guarantee the invulnerability of this product under any circumstances. 

SYSTEM REQUIREMENT

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7. Microsoft Windows 8. Microsoft Windows 10. Mac OS X 10.7 or later. Linux Kernel 2.6.31 or later.

 

TRANSCEND StoreJet 25H3 has had consistent favorable reviews from credible technology websites and is bestowed the Good Product Award from Instalki of Poland in 2016; Editor’s Choice and Best Value from Proclockers of the United States in 2015; and Medalla de Oro from Professional Review of Spain, also in 2015.

My TRANSCEND StoreJet 25H3 external hard drive has been with me for five years now and it is my backup storage of my personal files as well as a storage library for my selected movies which already account 260GB of space. It delivers without fail despite the few times it was mishandled.

The only thing I wished is that Transcend could have supplied a much-longer USB cable. On the whole, I am fully content of my external hard drive which is lightweight, rugged but soft to the hands and performed well beyond my computing needs. The TRANSCEND StoreJet 25H3 deserves this review, however late, and I hope this would guide end consumers.

Photo Nr 1 and Nr 2 from Transcend Official Website

No comments: