Thursday, November 1, 2018

OLD MANILA: A Gleaming Pearl After Dusk

AFTER MY ENGAGEMENT IN Rodriguez, Rizal on December 10, 2017, I went directly to Navotas City, into the home of Jay Z and Carla Jorge. That very evening, I am again treated to a sampling of the best of Navotas cuisine by the couple, right in their little restaurant – Pacing’s House of Barbeque. Tired as I was, the ambiance of the place and the food revived my soul to appreciate life better and to toast to the goodness of human character.

 
On the table was one of their specialties – spicy fish tofu served on a hot plate. Along with that was plain rice and their best-selling pork barbecue bathed in a glistening splendor of sauce, a well-kept family secret formulated by Jay Z’s late grandmother – Pacing. Grilled tomatoes on a stick completed the fare. Where I have taken off, a pint of Arce Dairy Ice Cream landed on spaces where these heavenly food used to be. A cold creamy ice cream mattered very much to a comfort-deprived heathen.

A book, just off the printing press, by the smell of the pages, passed on to my hands as a gift by the Jorge couple. Fine weather, cool ambiance, hearty reception, the best food in town, a special ice cream and a Guidebook on the Proper Use of Medicinal Plants. What else would a bushman want? These unexpected rewards somehow dampened my disappointment earlier before I came here. At least here, I am much closer to home. I got real friends.

The Jorge couple’s hospitality extended for a couple of days before I departed for Cebu. The most memorable of this was seeing the Manila that I have not seen before. That came on a late afternoon of December 11. The couple was celebrating their third wedding anniversary (I was their absent ninong) and Jay Z insisted that we dine at Barbara’s Heritage Restaurant where their wedding reception was held then. I went for a ride and found the establishment still closed.

It was at that moment when I was entering an old building of colonial proportions and beauty that I was transported back in time. Back to that time when Manila was a glistening pearl and a prized possession of Spain. The electric bulbs glowed majestically muffled, blending perfectly with the natural light of dusk. Shadows and lines and curves were at its exact places in the design of time and light and aura. It projects something unworldly yet understandably clear for the senses to enjoy.

Come to think of it. This was the same Manila that I totally disdained many years ago because of its uncontrolled development, overpopulation, high crime volume, grime accumulating on your nostrils and collars, high cost of living, floods under the slightest of rains and that ever constricting vehicular traffic. My idea of Manila expanded after EDSA '86 and became the National Capital Region. Manila, to most Visayas and Mindanao residents, is Luzon and where the conversations in Tagalog start.

Inside the courtyard of the quaint building is a beautiful fountain. Across it is a stone staircase leading to a veranda and above me are the finely-wrought windows and eaves that spoke of its Andalusian origins. I would be wrong if I have not seen this scene before in another time but in the comforts of a cushioned seat inside a cinema theater, back then when FPJ lorded it as an all-time box-office hit. 

Walking on the cobbled streets of Intramuros under twilight, devoid of vehicular traffic, was very soothing to the senses. A horse-driven carriage passes by, uprooting your mind from the present time to days when colonial life were centered around the protection of walled communities and watchtowers. Intramuros, the Old Manila, was the biggest of them all in the orient and it is here, at such hours, when the gran hombres and their doƱas socialized as if they were in their home countries.

The approaching Angelus of the hour brought magic and charm all to its own reminiscent of the times. At such hours, the tropic heat does not bite anymore. The breeze from Manila Bay dislodged the warm air that radiate from the mortar walls and pavements. San Agustin Parish stood before me and, farther away, is the bulk of the Manila Cathedral. Into the great door of the San Agustin I entered for the very first time and I could smell the many years of nostalgia that had stayed up the high ceilings, which also host a mosaic of shades and tones of the different centuries.

In a cacophony of bells, a Eucharistic celebration started as I eased myself in one of the pews. I noticed older women of European descent, attending to worship, only suggests that at its height of liveability, Old Manila may have hosted a considerable population of Spanish and other nationalities, as well as Filipinos of respectable wealth and influence, doing business or serving for the Crown. I might have dreamed but in my dreamy state I locked out the tensions that separate the colonizers from the local populace.

The electric bulbs and street lights now dominated the darkened skies and the old walls looked surreal in their unnatural glow. People walked on the cobbled streets and there are too few people here, an unlikely sight of that usual densely-peopled Manila street that I came to know of. Most of those I saw are students, laughing on their way home. Then there are the office workers, still in their uniforms, walking singly to the same direction where the students went.

Jay Z and I went back to Barbara’s. Hungry acids pierced my insides as the waiters arranged the food on two long tables. They served buffet food. Toned down music of smooth melodies sprinkled the ancient room in a totally relaxed mood and, at a signal, the chairs dragged backwards and reverberated inside the dining room as the diners prepared the short walk to the buffet tables. The ladies went first, while the gentlemen among us sat and waited for our turn.

Food for the taking were Filipino and continental dishes. I went in and choose braised pork, pinakbet, kangkong adobo, fresh lumpia and pork inasal. Popular Filipino delicacies are many and I helped myself with biko and on as many pieces of fried banana. A five-piece string band regaled us with their select traditional Filipino favorites. This same banduria provided the music that were interpreted by sets of cultural dancers swaying to the tunes of Tagalog, Bicolano, Visayan and Maranao numbers.

It was a memorable night indeed in the Old Manila which I now began to appreciate as a legitimate daughter of a Spain that was then at its height of power in the Old World, a good 250 years before the coming of the Americans. This same city shone a hundred more times in the Far East under another colonizer and could have been a shining beacon in the Pacific, on the verge of surpassing of even the greatest cities of Asia, were it not for World War II.

Though her identity was usurped by many, she retained her own destiny within the confines of the playgrounds where she frolicked, danced and sang long ago. She is a free spirit and she enjoyed her past with much more vigor than people thought of her as a modern metropolis. I came to apologize on that thought and I was gifted with a rare charm that has no equal, even from my own beloved Cebu.

No comments: