Sunday, January 1, 2023

2023-001 | CAMINO DE SANTIAGO CHRONICLES | SELFIES | DAY ONE

BEST SELFIE OF DAY 01

My best selfie on the first day of my Camino de Santiago. Taken at Albergue Santa Ana, in Pasaia San Juan, Province of Gipuzkoa, of the Basque Autonomous Region, Spain; last June 19, 2022; with a RealMe 5 Pro, powered by Android OS version 11. This smartphone, was my main equipment for photography and video, and for social media and communication. I had another one as backup which is an iPhone 6.

Just sitting there waiting for the albergue to open. I was hungry, tired, thirsty, and sleepy. Most of all, I need a bath. This was my first experience of how an albergue looked and felt like. I arrived at 14:45 but the albergue opens at 16:00. The hospitalero arrived on time and I was booked to stay for the night after scrutinizing my Philippine passport.

In a smattering of rapid Spanish, my eyes blinked at my capacity to absorb, mentally interpret, and understand the instructions. I nodded as if I understood, just to save me from the humiliation of my slow brain process. Then he became interested in my Basque surname and asked me friendly questions which I could only answer in my pidgin Spanish. Good thing he didn’t ask in Euskera.

Anyway, Señor Markus Immer was with me. He is a 70-year old Swiss expat living in the Philippines. He is married to a Filipina doctor. I was his companion on this journey of the spirit, a long pilgrimage, that we started many hours ago in darkness from Hendaia, France. He is my responsibility and I always keep my eye on him. We both had not taken a proper meal since arriving, except a few cups of coffee and some bread and pies.

I am a pilgrim from the Philippines.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Warrior Pilgrimage is back! What a wonderful surprise! The rest of the blog will surely be interesting, but that is "Merely My Opinion"

PinoyApache said...

Please stay for as long as you liked. For want of readers, I shut this blog. But something important needed to be documented. It was this Camino de Santiago I walked in Spain. That happened only once in my lifetime. Thank you for knocking by :)