Wednesday, January 11, 2023

2023-002 | CAMINO DE SANTIAGO CHRONICLES | BEST PHOTOS | DAY ONE

BEST PHOTO OF DAY 01


My best photo on the first day of my Camino de Santiago. Taken at Playa de Santiago, in Pasaia San Juan, Province of Gipuzkoa, of the Basque Autonomous Region, Spain; last June 19, 2022; with a RealMe 5 Pro, powered by Android OS version 11. This smartphone, was my main equipment for photography and video, and for social media and communication. I had another one as backup which is an iPhone 6.

The colors and the architecture of the structures seemed to burst out from a movie scene. It looked so strange to me but it is kind of nice to look at. It became so familiar as the days went by. All the structures and houses were designed in simple proletarian designs, utilizing local sources of building materials like sandstone, granite, slate, oak and pine wood, bricks, and modern items acquired from hardware shops. Most of the stones are smoothed through the ages and some, among the steps, are worn out.

These houses are old and are hereditary. Fresh splashes of pastel-coloured paints or a coat of varnish makes it attractive, trendy and pop. One structure has two different houses with two different designs but sharing one roof. On closer inspection, the stones betray their age, which could go as far as the 12th century, in the case of castles and watchtowers that are utilized now as habitations.

This was the main plaza of Pasai Donibane (San Juan). The date of my visit coincided with Father’s Day. It was also celebrated here like in my country. So many people dined al fresco with children tagging along since it was a Sunday. On the waterfront is a sea inlet where one has to cross over to another coast by a small ferry boat servicing the gap.

Señor Markus Immer and I found an open taberna and we sulked ourselves with two mugs each of the coldest beer. We were that thirsty. It was already 21:45 and most of the restaurants were closing. I had a super dinner of bacallao con salad mixta and patatas with a side dish of croquetas. My food costs around 17, a little bit pricey for a poor pilgrim, but the serving was good enough for 3-4 persons. Anyway, I ate it all.

I am a pilgrim from the Philippines.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...enough for 3-4 persons... ate it all." 😊